Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Hyperventilation --> Puking

Crazy, I know, but totally true!  My aunt spent some time discussing my "condition" (puking when I run) with her personal trainer and figured out that I must be hyperventilating while running.  I knew my inadequate or incorrect breathing techniques caused dizziness and the resulting stomach upheaval, but assumed the culprit to be asthmatic or allergy-induced.  I never got tested for either, but it seemed to make sense in my own head. 

Since I now believe that hyperventilation is the real cause, I've been researching the effects and potential solutions (ok, ya two days before the race is a bit late to be searching for a cure, but it's worth a shot). 

Here's what I've found out...

Typical symptoms of hyperventilation

Vivid dreams or nightmares; tingling and numbness of hands, feet, and area around mouth; yawning or sighing; sensation of needing to take a deep breath; panic attacks; feeling of being spaced out, faint or dizzy, episodes of weakness and exhaustion; muscle spasms, twitching, cramp, aching.

**I've noticed tingling/numbness in my feet when running, and sometimes even before and after.  Even though I recognized the numbness, I didn't consider a connection between the two symptoms.  I also experience the sensation of needing to take a deep breath in order to regain some balance.  Muscle spasms, cramping, aching, weakness and exhaustion are also present before, during and after each run -- no wonder I despise running so much?!?!
"...the arteries constrict, causing feelings of dizziness or light-headiness. Other symptoms of hyperventilation include chest pain, numbness or tingling in the arms, weakness and confusion. Hyperventilation can be brought on as a result of the changes that occur in your body during exercise."
 
 
POTENTIAL SOLUTIONS:
 
"Firstly you must always breathe through your nose. This increases the amount of air which is exhaled and immediately re-inhaled and is therefore relatively rich in carbon dioxide. Mouth breathers must make a conscious effort to close their mouths always, if necessary tape your lips closed at night.
Secondly, breathe less deeply and more slowly. Initially this brings a feeling of wanting to breathe more, but this must be ignored. It is a bit like having an irritating itch and not being allowed to scratch it. Some anti-hyperventilation techniques ask you to practice breathing using your diaphragm instead of your chest. I don't see the logic of this because whether you use your diaphragm or your chest muscles, air will still be drawn into the lungs. Buteyko is similarly unconcerned about diaphragmatic breathing, so in this we agree! The results of reducing your rate of breathing are felt very quickly (within a few minutes) good positive feedback to encourage you to continue! But improvement may continue over weeks, so keep at it!
Thirdly, if you catch yourself sighing, yawning or taking a deep breath, hold your breath for a few seconds, breathe out very slowly, then start breathing slowly and shallowly again."

Lactic Acidosis

A study by the University of Iowa found that the accumulation of lactic acid in fatiguing muscles during exercise causes blood pH -- concentration of hydrogen ions -- to drop below normal.The mechanisms in the blood that normally buffer -- prevent changes in pH -- are overridden by the rate of lactate production during intense exercise, and pH continues to drop. Breathing rate is increased and hyperventilation occurs to rid the body of excess hydrogen along with carbon dioxide, and to compensate for the drop in pH.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/468947-is-exercise-the-cause-of-hyperventilation/#ixzz24HdbZ8lm

Stopping Hyperventilation

Carbon dioxide levels in the blood must be restored to correct hyperventilation, according to Kenneth Saladin, author of "Anatomy and Physiology: The Unity of Form and Function." Breathing in and out of a paper bag -- the expelled air contains carbon dioxide -- is one recommended method. Covering your mouth and breathing through one nostril is another method. Hyperventilation onset by panic should be corrected by attempting to remain calm and inhaling deeply.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/468947-is-exercise-the-cause-of-hyperventilation/#ixzz24HdVU7v1

No comments:

Post a Comment